BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
Scientists: Mercury Turns Birds “Gay”
2010: Scientists in Florida and Sri Lanka have found that male birds in wetland habitats respond to mercury contamination by mating with other male birds. The in researching why breeding white ibises was down, scientists revealed that mercury in the diet depresses the testosterone levels of the birds.
A related study a few months earlier showed that sexual fluidity is rampant among birds. Geoff MacFarlane, a researcher from Australia’s University of Newcastle, has discovered the gender of avian that spends less time raising baby birds is also more likely to indulge homosexual desires.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Michael Musto Is Never Getting Married
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- Mike Huckabee Urges 'Free Kim Davis'; Others Call Her a Rosa Parks
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet