BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
Scientists: Mercury Turns Birds “Gay”
2010: Scientists in Florida and Sri Lanka have found that male birds in wetland habitats respond to mercury contamination by mating with other male birds. The in researching why breeding white ibises was down, scientists revealed that mercury in the diet depresses the testosterone levels of the birds.
A related study a few months earlier showed that sexual fluidity is rampant among birds. Geoff MacFarlane, a researcher from Australia’s University of Newcastle, has discovered the gender of avian that spends less time raising baby birds is also more likely to indulge homosexual desires.
- Panic! at the Disco Counters Westboro Baptist Church Picket With Donation
- Op-ed: Why The Gay Panic Defense Must Go
- Armond White: The Long Day Closes Is The Greatest Gay Film Ever Made
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Shocking Increase in HIV Diagnosis Rate Among Young Gay, Bi Men
- PHOTOS: Charlie's Gay Angel