BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 12:45 AM ET
Scientists: Mercury Turns Birds “Gay”
2010: Scientists in Florida and Sri Lanka have found that male birds in wetland habitats respond to mercury contamination by mating with other male birds. The in researching why breeding white ibises was down, scientists revealed that mercury in the diet depresses the testosterone levels of the birds.
A related study a few months earlier showed that sexual fluidity is rampant among birds. Geoff MacFarlane, a researcher from Australia’s University of Newcastle, has discovered the gender of avian that spends less time raising baby birds is also more likely to indulge homosexual desires.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 19 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM