BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
Scientists: Mercury Turns Birds “Gay”
2010: Scientists in Florida and Sri Lanka have found that male birds in wetland habitats respond to mercury contamination by mating with other male birds. The in researching why breeding white ibises was down, scientists revealed that mercury in the diet depresses the testosterone levels of the birds.
A related study a few months earlier showed that sexual fluidity is rampant among birds. Geoff MacFarlane, a researcher from Australia’s University of Newcastle, has discovered the gender of avian that spends less time raising baby birds is also more likely to indulge homosexual desires.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015
- Boy Scouts' Ban on Gay Adults Lifted