BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
Scientists: Mercury Turns Birds “Gay”
2010: Scientists in Florida and Sri Lanka have found that male birds in wetland habitats respond to mercury contamination by mating with other male birds. The in researching why breeding white ibises was down, scientists revealed that mercury in the diet depresses the testosterone levels of the birds.
A related study a few months earlier showed that sexual fluidity is rampant among birds. Geoff MacFarlane, a researcher from Australia’s University of Newcastle, has discovered the gender of avian that spends less time raising baby birds is also more likely to indulge homosexual desires.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'