BY Michelle Garcia
August 11 2011 1:45 AM ET
Scientists: Mercury Turns Birds “Gay”
2010: Scientists in Florida and Sri Lanka have found that male birds in wetland habitats respond to mercury contamination by mating with other male birds. The in researching why breeding white ibises was down, scientists revealed that mercury in the diet depresses the testosterone levels of the birds.
A related study a few months earlier showed that sexual fluidity is rampant among birds. Geoff MacFarlane, a researcher from Australia’s University of Newcastle, has discovered the gender of avian that spends less time raising baby birds is also more likely to indulge homosexual desires.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 44 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 54 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM