Georgia Mayor Shuts Down As Too Risqué
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 17 2011 7:20 AM ET
In a case of life imitating art (or at least a Glee storyline from last year), political officials in Georgia have shut down a community theater's production of The Rocky Horror Show after deeming it "too risqué," reports Entertainment Weekly.
A production of the 1973 satirical musical, a sexualized send-up of sci-fi and horror movies that was turned into a still-adored cult film in 1975, was slated to open October 27 at the city-owned Carrollton Cultural Arts Center. After viewing a video clip from rehearsal, Wayne Garner, the mayor of Carrollton, Ga. called the show too risqué, overruled the center's board, and canceled it. “I found it very offensive, not in keeping with the community of Carrolton, if you will,” Garner told Atlanta’s NBC-11 news. "I know this community well and if that play was allowed to proceed, we'd be run out of town." The director and cast of the production plan to find private sponsors and produce the play on a different stage in the city.
A Facebook page has been created to show support for the Carrollton production of The Rocky Horror Show. View it here.
Watch the news report below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM