Marines Already Recruiting for Gays, Lesbians
BY Neal Broverman
September 21 2011 3:35 PM ET
In Tulsa, Okla., of all places, the Marines began recruiting for gay and lesbian soldiers on the first day they could.
The New York Times reports that Marines, led by Master Sgt. Anthony Henry, traveled to the Dennis R. Neill Equality Center in downtown Tulsa to find some good men and women. Not many potential recruits actually showed up, but those who did expressed gratitude at the new inclusive military.
Sgt. Henry worked to comfort one potential female recruit: "It's your business and you don't have to share it," he told the young woman. "But you're also free to be at the mall with your girlfriend."
Read the full story here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School
- Op-ed: Why LGBT and the GOP Are Better Together
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre