Marines Already Recruiting for Gays, Lesbians
BY Neal Broverman
September 21 2011 3:35 PM ET
In Tulsa, Okla., of all places, the Marines began recruiting for gay and lesbian soldiers on the first day they could.
The New York Times reports that Marines, led by Master Sgt. Anthony Henry, traveled to the Dennis R. Neill Equality Center in downtown Tulsa to find some good men and women. Not many potential recruits actually showed up, but those who did expressed gratitude at the new inclusive military.
Sgt. Henry worked to comfort one potential female recruit: "It's your business and you don't have to share it," he told the young woman. "But you're also free to be at the mall with your girlfriend."
Read the full story here.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- A Letter to My Partners
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 2 min 12 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 7 min 53 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 54 min 32 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 9 min ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 1 hour 11 min ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 18 min ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 32 min ago