HRC to Romney: Ditch Anti-LGBT Finance Chair
BY Trudy Ring
March 10 2012 7:00 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign and supporters are calling on Mitt Romney to fire his national finance chair, Frank VanderSloot, who has a record of antigay activities.
HRC launched an online action Thursday night, with a letter for individuals to sign and send to Romney, the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, and more than 15,000 people have already done so, officials with the group said.
VanderSloot, a wealthy Idaho businessman, has an antigay history that includes a billboard campaign condemning Idaho Public Television for showing the award-winning documentary It’s Elementary: Talking About Gay Issues in School. The billboards claimed the film promoted “the homosexual lifestyle,” and according to a Salon profile by Glenn Greenwald, VanderSloot said of the documentary, “If this isn’t stopped, a lot of little kids will watch this program and create questions they’ve never had ... little lives are going to be damaged permanently.”
Greenwald also reported that VanderSloot has often threatened journalists who write about him and outed a gay one, and that in 2008 his wife, Belinda, donated $100,000 in support of Proposition 8, the ballot measure that rescinded marriage equality in California.
HRC spokesman Fred Sainz said Romney’s relationship with VanderSloot “speaks volumes about how Mitt Romney truly feels about LGBT people.” He urged Romney to “immediately fire VanderSloot and return the money he’s donated to the campaign” and added that the candidate “can no longer get away with saying he opposes discrimination against LGBT Americans while simultaneously working with someone as viciously anti-LGBT as Frank VanderSloot.”
For HRC’s letter, click here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 56 min 10 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 57 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 56 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM