The Internet Loves Gay Geek Nate Silver
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2012 6:42 AM ET
Is Nate Silver gay? The answer to that question hasn't stopped him from becoming the Internet's latest ladykiller.
It also didn't stop him from improving on his accuracy in predicting the election's outcome, despite a theory from the now thoroughly discredited inventor of "Unskewed Polls," Dean Chambers, who said Silver was too "effeminate" to be trusted. (And who Silver basically laughed at in response.)
Silver is a self-described geek who writes for The New York Times and is the founder of the blog FiveThirtyEight. He's also got a new best seller on his hands, The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail — But Some Don't. His way with statistics earned him a spot on the Out 100 in 2010. And Silver posed for a photo back then (seen above) with two other big gay names in media — Gawker's Nick Denton and GQ's Jim Nelson.
Out magazine this year called Silver "Our Favorite Gay Geek." And that followed a 2011 love letter in Out that said Silver "sets many gay (and straight, probably) hearts aflutter with his eerie prescience and rumpled-yet-sharp geeky aesthetic."
The latest Internet meme — now that Silver can lay claim to having predicted the outcomes in all 50 states in the presidential race correctly, instead of just the 49 from 2008 — shows it's more than just the gays who have a crush. A hilarious hashtag on Twitter called "#NateSilverFacts" is worth following. There's also a parody Twitter account devoted to him, called "Drunk Nate Silver." And then we love the Tumblr that's collecting the many Silver "Hey Girl" lines.
Check out a few of our favorite odes to Silver on the following pages.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 15 min 25 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 41 min 1 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 25 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM