Sen. Jim DeMint to Step Down
BY Julie Bolcer
December 06 2012 11:06 AM ET
U.S. senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina, who sparked controversy with his comments that openly gay people and unmarried sexually active women should not be allowed to teach, announced he will step down this January to become president of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.
DeMint, a Republican elected in 2004, told The Wall Street Journal his new role would help communicate conservative ideas to the public in this “urgent time” following his party’s weak performance in the recent elections. He had previously said he would not seek a third term.
Gov. Nikki Haley, a Republican, will name a successor to DeMint. That person will have to run in a special election in 2014.
DeMint, a favorite of the Tea Party, said in 2004 that gay people and unwed single mothers should not be teachers. He apologized, but he repeated the opinion in 2010 and claimed it was an example of how religious people are attacked for their beliefs.
An antibullying group used DeMint’s comments in ads that ran in South Carolina this year.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Queen Latifah Tells Us About Her New Talk Show
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 39 min 36 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 39 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM