WATCH: Barney Frank Wants to Be a Senator
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 04 2013 2:11 PM ET
Gay former Rep. Barney Frank reportedly called Massachussetts Gov. Deval Patrick and asked to be considered for a brief stint in the U.S. Senate, Buzzfeed's Chris Geidner reports. If appointed, Frank would temporarily fill Sen. John Kerry's seat, left vacant when President Obama tapped Kerry as his new Secretary of State. Frank would only serve in the 113th Congress for three months, until a special election can be held to allow voters to elect a new Senator.
Asked by Joe Scarborough on MSNBC's Morning Joe today if he'd consider a temporary appointment to the U.S. Senate, Frank said he would. Frank told Scarborough that since Congress eked out an agreement on the fiscal cliff, he wants to be a part of the country's fiscal discussion in the important coming months. But Frank was clear about where his allegiance (and congressional experience) lies.
"I'd rather be a Congressman," said Frank when Scarborough referred to him as "Senator." "I don't want to be an upper body. 32 years in the House, three months in the Senate — I'm a House member."
Watch the exchange below.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 3 min 9 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 17 min 2 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 19 min 42 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 31 min 31 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 35 min 3 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 37 min 37 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 40 min 12 sec ago