Gay Congressman (and New Dad) Tells DNC About Power from Diversity
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 12:14 AM ET
Out Colorado Congressman Jared Polis, a new dad, spoke personally about his own family as yet another reason that diversity makes America stronger during his convention speech on Tuesday.
"We are a diverse country, but we are one country," he said. "And we are at our best when we come together as Americans, not despite our differences, but in celebration of them."
Polis didn't shy in the least from representing LGBT Americans but also spoke more broadly about commonalities.
"Diversity is America's strength, and only by working together, as one nation, can we form a more perfect union," he said, according to a transcript posted by Politico. "That is why President Obama brought to Washington a vision for one America—an America in which we can overcome divisions of red and blue to make our country greater.… And it is why Barack Obama became the first sitting president in American history to show his personal support for same-sex marriage."
Watch the complete speech from CPAN below.
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 47 min 19 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse 1 hour 56 min ago
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 10:00 AM
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM