Gay Congressman (and New Dad) Tells DNC About Power from Diversity
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 12:14 AM ET
Out Colorado Congressman Jared Polis, a new dad, spoke personally about his own family as yet another reason that diversity makes America stronger during his convention speech on Tuesday.
"We are a diverse country, but we are one country," he said. "And we are at our best when we come together as Americans, not despite our differences, but in celebration of them."
Polis didn't shy in the least from representing LGBT Americans but also spoke more broadly about commonalities.
"Diversity is America's strength, and only by working together, as one nation, can we form a more perfect union," he said, according to a transcript posted by Politico. "That is why President Obama brought to Washington a vision for one America—an America in which we can overcome divisions of red and blue to make our country greater.… And it is why Barack Obama became the first sitting president in American history to show his personal support for same-sex marriage."
Watch the complete speech from CPAN below.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM