Voter Suppression Effort Targets Transgender People
BY Trudy Ring
November 04 2012 7:48 PM ET
Transgender citizens already face difficulties in voting because of voter ID laws in several states, but now a Tea Party–affiliated group is training volunteers to single out trans voters.
A training manual for a group called True the Vote “features a transphobic image that claims transgender people are fraudulent voters and should be denied the right to vote,” says a press release from the National Center for Transgender Equality. Until now, voter suppression efforts “only inadvertently affected transgender voters,” notes the NCTE, but “the discovery of True the Vote’s training manual marks a shift by right-wing groups to explicitly target transgender people and deny them a right to vote.”
NCTE executive director Mara Keisling called the effort “disgraceful,” adding, “For trans people, voting is not just a right and a responsibility, for us it is also an important part of how we are winning our equality. Scare tactics like this won’t keep us from that.”
NCTE has a guide to navigating voter ID laws called the Voting While Trans Checklist. Find it and more information here.
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 40 min 48 sec ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 46 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 1 hour 36 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 1 hour 45 min ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 2 hours 5 min ago
- Military Hagel: Full National Guard To Recognize Gay Couples 2 hours 38 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 12:00 PM