Black Voters Support Marriage Equality in Illinois By Wide Margin
BY Julie Bolcer
December 07 2012 11:55 AM ET
As marriage equality advocates in Illinois look to push for legislation in the next year, a new poll measures a promising level of support from African-American voters in the state.
Black voters in the state support marriage equality 60% to 16%, according to a survey released by Public Policy Polling this past Wednesday. Support is even higher among Latino voters, at 70% to 23%. By comparison, white voters oppose marriage equality by 51% to 40% in Illinois, according to the liberal-leaning pollster. Voters in general support marriage equality in the state by 47% to 42%.
Nationally, about 52% of black and Latino voters support marriage equality, according to exit polls reported by the Washington Post. Support was higher among African-American women than men, at 59% compared to 42%.
In Maryland, where African Americans make up about one-third of voters, support for the referendum to uphold the new marriage equality law stood at 46%. African Americans make up about 15% of voters in Illinois, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
Public Policy Polling also found that New Jersey voters favor marriage equality by 53% to 36%, with more Republicans (21%) in favor than Democrats (19%) who oppose it. Some 72% of voters want to be allowed to vote on the issue in a referendum. Governor Chris Christie supports a referendum but Democratic legislative leaders have dismissed the idea.
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM