Ryan Doubles Down on Homophobia in Focus on the Family Interview
BY Neal Broverman
October 03 2012 4:04 PM ET
Republican vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan is a good buddy to the radical right wing — he's just not a friend to you.
The Wisconsin congressman made that clear in a recent audio interview with Focus on the Family president Jim Daly. Prodded by Daly on his antigay cred, Ryan offered up this:
"[Opposite-sex marriage is] the foundation for society and for family for thousands of years. First of all, Mitt Romney and I — I’ll just say it, it’s worth repeating — we believe marriage is between one man and one woman, that’s number 1. Number 2, you know where I come from we had one of those amendments in Wisconsin, I was a big supporter of it and we passed it, like you say, where it’s put on the ballot it passes. The second point is, President Obama gave up defending the Defense of Marriage Act in the courts, I mean, not only is this decision to abandon this law the wrong decision, it passed in a bipartisan manner, it is very troubling because it undermines not only traditional marriage but it contradicts our system of government. It’s not the president’s job to pick and choose which laws he likes. A Romney administration will protect traditional marriage and the rule of law, and we will provide the Defense of Marriage Act the proper defense in the courts that it deserves."
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas December 18 2013 4:19 PM