S.C. Lawmaker Comes Out After False, Salacious Blog Post
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2013 10:54 AM ET
After a political blog attempted to out a Charleston County, S.C., lawmaker, she decided to take matters into her own hands.
County Councilmember Colleen Condon announced to her colleagues that she is gay after local blog FitsNews published a post that alleges she left her husband on adulterous terms to be in a lesbian relationship.
“Yes, I’m gay,” Condon said. “I don’t think that’s a sex scandal in 2013.”
According to the Post and Courier newspaper, Condon was married for 15 years until she and her husband divorced amicably in 2011. The relationship she is in now was initiated after their divorce. County Council chairman Teddie Pryor dismissed her statement, saying it was unimportant and her "business."
- Why Are We Gay?
- Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- 14 Ex-Ex Gays Paving the Way Forward
- Op-ed: It's Hard Out There for a Femme
- WATCH: Protesters Tell Antigay Kentucky Clerk 'Do Your Job!' in Showdown With Her Supporters
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves