S.C. Lawmaker Comes Out After False, Salacious Blog Post
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2013 10:54 AM ET
After a political blog attempted to out a Charleston County, S.C., lawmaker, she decided to take matters into her own hands.
County Councilmember Colleen Condon announced to her colleagues that she is gay after local blog FitsNews published a post that alleges she left her husband on adulterous terms to be in a lesbian relationship.
“Yes, I’m gay,” Condon said. “I don’t think that’s a sex scandal in 2013.”
According to the Post and Courier newspaper, Condon was married for 15 years until she and her husband divorced amicably in 2011. The relationship she is in now was initiated after their divorce. County Council chairman Teddie Pryor dismissed her statement, saying it was unimportant and her "business."
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party
- Mo'Nique: Blackbird Is My 'Love Letter' to the Gay Community