S.C. Lawmaker Comes Out After False, Salacious Blog Post
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2013 10:54 AM ET
After a political blog attempted to out a Charleston County, S.C., lawmaker, she decided to take matters into her own hands.
County Councilmember Colleen Condon announced to her colleagues that she is gay after local blog FitsNews published a post that alleges she left her husband on adulterous terms to be in a lesbian relationship.
“Yes, I’m gay,” Condon said. “I don’t think that’s a sex scandal in 2013.”
According to the Post and Courier newspaper, Condon was married for 15 years until she and her husband divorced amicably in 2011. The relationship she is in now was initiated after their divorce. County Council chairman Teddie Pryor dismissed her statement, saying it was unimportant and her "business."
- Op-ed: Burning Books, One Word at a Time
- Op-ed: Why Do Kids Anger So Many Gay Men?
- WATCH: PBS Showcases Queer Aspects of Cosplay
- James Franco Calls Gay NYT Theater Critic a 'Little Bitch'
- Last Words With RuPaul's Drag Race's Trinity K. Bonet
- WATCH: UMass Rally Shouts Down Westboro’s Attempted Picket of Derrick Gordon