S.C. Lawmaker Comes Out After False, Salacious Blog Post
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2013 10:54 AM ET
After a political blog attempted to out a Charleston County, S.C., lawmaker, she decided to take matters into her own hands.
County Councilmember Colleen Condon announced to her colleagues that she is gay after local blog FitsNews published a post that alleges she left her husband on adulterous terms to be in a lesbian relationship.
“Yes, I’m gay,” Condon said. “I don’t think that’s a sex scandal in 2013.”
According to the Post and Courier newspaper, Condon was married for 15 years until she and her husband divorced amicably in 2011. The relationship she is in now was initiated after their divorce. County Council chairman Teddie Pryor dismissed her statement, saying it was unimportant and her "business."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 15 min 57 sec ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 48 min 17 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 1 hour 20 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 1 hour 29 min ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 2 hours 16 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM