Gay Mass. Candidate 'Comes Out' to Tea Party Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2013 12:13 PM ET
A Massachusetts state lawmaker running for Congress released a new campaign ad about coming out to his Tea Party father -- as a liberal.
Carl Sciortino, who is gay, is running in a special election to replace Congressman Ed Markey, who won Secretary of State John Kerry's Senate seat earlier this year in another special election.
"I'll never forget that conversation with my dad where I had to come out and tell him that I was … a Massachusetts liberal," Carl Sciortino Jr. says. Sciortino's ad plays with the fact that he is gay, while his father laments his son's eagerness to take on the National Rifle Association and the Tea Party.
He faces seven Democratic candidates in the October 15 primary. The special election is set for December 10.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 2 hours 21 min ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 2 hours 30 min ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM