Gay Mass. Candidate 'Comes Out' to Tea Party Dad
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2013 1:13 PM ET
A Massachusetts state lawmaker running for Congress released a new campaign ad about coming out to his Tea Party father -- as a liberal.
Carl Sciortino, who is gay, is running in a special election to replace Congressman Ed Markey, who won Secretary of State John Kerry's Senate seat earlier this year in another special election.
"I'll never forget that conversation with my dad where I had to come out and tell him that I was … a Massachusetts liberal," Carl Sciortino Jr. says. Sciortino's ad plays with the fact that he is gay, while his father laments his son's eagerness to take on the National Rifle Association and the Tea Party.
He faces seven Democratic candidates in the October 15 primary. The special election is set for December 10.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: My Bi Choice
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives