First Transgender Woman Legally Recognized in Vietnam
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 09 2012 9:45 AM ET
Pham Le Quynh Tram has become the first transgender woman to be legally recognized by Vietnamese authorities as a woman, according to website Vietnamnet.
A decision granted by the administration of her town in the Binh Phuoc province allows Pham Van Hiep (her birth name) to redefine her sex from male to female and to legally change her name to Pham Le Quynh Tram.
“I can’t believe that this is true,” Tram says, who had reassignment surgery in 2008. "I cannot describe my happiness of living with my true sex."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model