First Transgender Woman Legally Recognized in Vietnam
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 09 2012 10:45 AM ET
Pham Le Quynh Tram has become the first transgender woman to be legally recognized by Vietnamese authorities as a woman, according to website Vietnamnet.
A decision granted by the administration of her town in the Binh Phuoc province allows Pham Van Hiep (her birth name) to redefine her sex from male to female and to legally change her name to Pham Le Quynh Tram.
“I can’t believe that this is true,” Tram says, who had reassignment surgery in 2008. "I cannot describe my happiness of living with my true sex."
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Meet the Trans Man and Pansexual Woman Married by Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Newlywed Photos That Will Make Kim Davis's Head Spin