First Transgender Woman Legally Recognized in Vietnam
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 09 2012 10:45 AM ET
Pham Le Quynh Tram has become the first transgender woman to be legally recognized by Vietnamese authorities as a woman, according to website Vietnamnet.
A decision granted by the administration of her town in the Binh Phuoc province allows Pham Van Hiep (her birth name) to redefine her sex from male to female and to legally change her name to Pham Le Quynh Tram.
“I can’t believe that this is true,” Tram says, who had reassignment surgery in 2008. "I cannot describe my happiness of living with my true sex."
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- The Precarious Plight of Paul Richmond's Pinups