Visible Bodies: Transgender Narratives Retold
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 05 2013 5:00 AM ET
Visible Bodies: Transgender Narratives Retold is a photography series that highlights transgender and genderqueer individuals. Through captions written by participants and close collaboration between the subject and photographer, the pieces in the exhibit allow transgender people to express what their gender means to them. Visible Bodies is part of a fledgling movement of transgender people telling their own stories, in contrast to the biased and overly simple stories often told about them in mainstream media.
The exhibit premiered at the San Diego LGBT Pride office on May 11, drawing more than 200 people. In addition to its 30-day gallery run, Visible Bodies hosted educational panels and partial showings at the Transgender Day of Empowerment, Women’s Fest, the University of California San Diego, and the San Diego Pride Festival.
“At every Visible Bodies event, I hear nuanced conversations about gender and trans issues,” producer Scott Duane said in a news release. “This is exactly what we wanted to accomplish with this project.”
“People with a wide variety of genders, abilities, cultural background, and ages are telling their stories,” added co-producer Liat Wexler. “That’s the real power of this project — the fact that there isn’t just one voice, but many.”
Photographer Wolfgang is an ally to the trans community. “I learned so much about this community and about myself during this project," he said. "I look forward to continuing to be involved with Visible Bodies and other work along these lines.”
Producers Duane and Wexler are currently working on a digitized version of the project, as well as exploring additional gallery venues throughout southern California. Plans are in the works for a Visible Bodies: Portland and Visible Bodies: Minneapolis within the next year.
For more information on Visible Bodies, visit the project’s Facebook page. See more from the exhibit on the following pages.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 5 min 56 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 57 min 22 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 4 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 45 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 42 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 56 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM