PHOTOS: Turkey's First Transgender Beauty Contest
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2014 6:00 AM ET
It isn't illegal to be LGBT in Turkey, but LGBTpeople still face regular violence and discrimination. A beauty pageant held in Istanbul formed part of a week-long celebration of LGBT events in June in defiance of that persecution, notes the Daily Mail. Thanks to Furkan Temir for these photos of some very brave ladies. The contest organized by HEVI LGBTT.
Backstage, the magic happens — with help from some friends.
Glamour gets a rise out of a spirited crowd.
Walking proudly in spite of current conditions in Istanbul.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- POLL: Americans Prefer Gay President to Evangelical or Tea Partier
- WATCH: Ben Carson Thinks President Can Ignore Courts on Marriage Equality