PHOTOS: Turkey's First Transgender Beauty Contest
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2014 6:00 AM ET
It isn't illegal to be LGBT in Turkey, but LGBTpeople still face regular violence and discrimination. A beauty pageant held in Istanbul formed part of a week-long celebration of LGBT events in June in defiance of that persecution, notes the Daily Mail. Thanks to Furkan Temir for these photos of some very brave ladies. The contest organized by HEVI LGBTT.
Backstage, the magic happens — with help from some friends.
Glamour gets a rise out of a spirited crowd.
Walking proudly in spite of current conditions in Istanbul.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- PHOTOS: A Global Pride Explosion
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign