PHOTOS: Turkey's First Transgender Beauty Contest
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2014 6:00 AM ET
It isn't illegal to be LGBT in Turkey, but LGBTpeople still face regular violence and discrimination. A beauty pageant held in Istanbul formed part of a week-long celebration of LGBT events in June in defiance of that persecution, notes the Daily Mail. Thanks to Furkan Temir for these photos of some very brave ladies. The contest organized by HEVI LGBTT.
Backstage, the magic happens — with help from some friends.
Glamour gets a rise out of a spirited crowd.
Walking proudly in spite of current conditions in Istanbul.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers