PHOTOS: Turkey's First Transgender Beauty Contest
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2014 6:00 AM ET
It isn't illegal to be LGBT in Turkey, but LGBTpeople still face regular violence and discrimination. A beauty pageant held in Istanbul formed part of a week-long celebration of LGBT events in June in defiance of that persecution, notes the Daily Mail. Thanks to Furkan Temir for these photos of some very brave ladies. The contest organized by HEVI LGBTT.
Backstage, the magic happens — with help from some friends.
Glamour gets a rise out of a spirited crowd.
Walking proudly in spite of current conditions in Istanbul.
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Best (and Worst) Tweets About Kim Davis
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Judge Denies Divorce, Blames Marriage Equality
- Bus Driver Says Rainbow Decal Violates His Religious Freedom
- Kim Davis vs. the Internet