Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Madison, Wis.
- pursuing a BA in political science/government at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The leadership training Point provides will help me to further my knowledge and build networking from which to draw strength. Point’s mentoring program will help me to navigate the challenges I will face in college as a lesbian woman. A Point Scholarship will help me focus my energy on activism instead of on making ends meet. Point will create opportunities for me through access to a community of diverse and dedicated individuals. As I move forward, Point Foundation’s leadership training, mentoring, and financial support will be an incredible source of hope.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
With Point, I will make a difference in the LGBT community through continued activism and volunteering. The work of battling homophobia and discrimination through educational activism is very important to me. I plan to continue and expand upon this work with the help of Point Foundation. Point will help me to do this by providing networking and brainstorming opportunities, as well as feedback and support from a mentor. This summer I plan to continue my internship with Fair Wisconsin, working toward marriage equality. I also plan to become involved with several LGBT organizations at the UW Madison, as I’ve done in my high school Gay Straight Alliance, to help support students in their journeys coming out and in navigating campus life. My interaction with the Point community so far has been inspiring, and I am sure it will continue to inspire me in my choices of volunteer and career work.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 54 min 4 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM