Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
- from Madison, Wis.
- pursuing a BA in political science/government at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The leadership training Point provides will help me to further my knowledge and build networking from which to draw strength. Point’s mentoring program will help me to navigate the challenges I will face in college as a lesbian woman. A Point Scholarship will help me focus my energy on activism instead of on making ends meet. Point will create opportunities for me through access to a community of diverse and dedicated individuals. As I move forward, Point Foundation’s leadership training, mentoring, and financial support will be an incredible source of hope.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
With Point, I will make a difference in the LGBT community through continued activism and volunteering. The work of battling homophobia and discrimination through educational activism is very important to me. I plan to continue and expand upon this work with the help of Point Foundation. Point will help me to do this by providing networking and brainstorming opportunities, as well as feedback and support from a mentor. This summer I plan to continue my internship with Fair Wisconsin, working toward marriage equality. I also plan to become involved with several LGBT organizations at the UW Madison, as I’ve done in my high school Gay Straight Alliance, to help support students in their journeys coming out and in navigating campus life. My interaction with the Point community so far has been inspiring, and I am sure it will continue to inspire me in my choices of volunteer and career work.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 2 hours 6 min ago
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM