Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
Brandon Lee Markowitz
- from Sharon, Mass.
- pursuing a BA/BFA from Eugene Lang College and Parsons The New School of Design
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
After graduating high school at the age of eighteen, I was disowned by my birth family as a result of my sexuality. Receiving a Point scholarship will enable me to go to college so that I can make a difference in the lives of LGBT youth. It will give me the opportunity to strengthen my skills and tools in order to make a difference. Further, having a Point mentor in psychology, who works with LGBT youth and victims of abuse, will help prepare me for the obstacles I will face in the field and in the community. Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Being a Point Scholar will help me to continue to be the change I want to see in the world.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
I am proud of who I am, and I want other LGBT youth to be able to grow up proud of who they are as well. I am majoring in psychology and photography. I look forward to working with LGBT youth who are victims of homophobia and abuse and, I look forward to working for the eradication of these two social ills. Engaging in community service will give me more opportunities to help LGBT youth who are struggling now. I hope that sharing my story will help give hope to other LGBT youth across the nation.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM