Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Idaho Falls, Utah
- pursuing a BA in psychology at the University of Utah
- Vorobek Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The Point Scholarship will enable me to attend college in an open environment at a queer-friendly campus. There I will prepare to become a clinical psychologist, which will certainly impact my future and, I hope, help others at the same time. Through the mentoring program also offered by Point, as well as through the family that Point is, I will also have a net of support and acceptance that I am extremely grateful to enjoy. In other words, the Point Foundation is helping me open numerous doors that broaden the scope of my future.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
The Point Foundation gives its scholars an opportunity to share its message of hope for LGBTQ youth, and this is one part of the scholarship about which I am very enthusiastic. As an isolated gay teenager, hearing the stories of others who had risen from similar circumstances was hugely important to me; if my story could have even a fraction of such an impact, I would be both honored and overjoyed. I have also been amazed by the incredible people and role models I have met through the Point Foundation, and this inspiration strengthens me in the struggle for LGBTQ equality.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 21 min 35 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 29 min 9 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 9 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 6 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 21 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 39 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 52 min ago