Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
- from Idaho Falls, Utah
- pursuing a BA in psychology at the University of Utah
- Vorobek Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The Point Scholarship will enable me to attend college in an open environment at a queer-friendly campus. There I will prepare to become a clinical psychologist, which will certainly impact my future and, I hope, help others at the same time. Through the mentoring program also offered by Point, as well as through the family that Point is, I will also have a net of support and acceptance that I am extremely grateful to enjoy. In other words, the Point Foundation is helping me open numerous doors that broaden the scope of my future.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
The Point Foundation gives its scholars an opportunity to share its message of hope for LGBTQ youth, and this is one part of the scholarship about which I am very enthusiastic. As an isolated gay teenager, hearing the stories of others who had risen from similar circumstances was hugely important to me; if my story could have even a fraction of such an impact, I would be both honored and overjoyed. I have also been amazed by the incredible people and role models I have met through the Point Foundation, and this inspiration strengthens me in the struggle for LGBTQ equality.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM