Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Idaho Falls, Utah
- pursuing a BA in psychology at the University of Utah
- Vorobek Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The Point Scholarship will enable me to attend college in an open environment at a queer-friendly campus. There I will prepare to become a clinical psychologist, which will certainly impact my future and, I hope, help others at the same time. Through the mentoring program also offered by Point, as well as through the family that Point is, I will also have a net of support and acceptance that I am extremely grateful to enjoy. In other words, the Point Foundation is helping me open numerous doors that broaden the scope of my future.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
The Point Foundation gives its scholars an opportunity to share its message of hope for LGBTQ youth, and this is one part of the scholarship about which I am very enthusiastic. As an isolated gay teenager, hearing the stories of others who had risen from similar circumstances was hugely important to me; if my story could have even a fraction of such an impact, I would be both honored and overjoyed. I have also been amazed by the incredible people and role models I have met through the Point Foundation, and this inspiration strengthens me in the struggle for LGBTQ equality.
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM