10,000 Strong Against Preacher Sean Harris
BY Neal Broverman
May 07 2012 7:00 PM ET
A group called Faithful America is circulating a message that condemns antigay pastor Sean Harris, who advocated punching gay-acting children in a recent sermon.
The letter, entitled "Abusing Gay Children Is Not Christian," has received over 10,000 signatures, according to the Faith in Public Life website. The statement reads, "Faithful Christians are appalled by Pastor Sean Harris’s hateful tirade urging violence against gay and lesbian youth. Violence and child abuse can never be justified by the teachings of Jesus Christ. All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, should be assured in church that they are beloved children of God." Read more here.
After audio of Harris's sermon leaked online, the North Carolina preacher said he did not mean to offend the LGBT community. You can watch his speech here and judge for yourself.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 18 min 37 sec ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 26 min 53 sec ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 1 hour 14 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2:52 PM