She's Got Game
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 09 2009 12:00 AM ET
suggested that as long as Gronert wasn't winning big titles
or taking large chunks of prize money that her case would
remain relatively uncontroversial. But that smacked of a double
"As long as she
maintains her place at the end of the pack, it's OK,"
said tennis historian Bud Collins, who has covered tennis since
the 1960s. "There would be an uproar if she were to become a
champion." Collins added that if she's been cleared to
play, "then you have to live with it."
Meyer-Bahlburg, it's nearly impossible to say if Gronert
would have an advantage or disadvantage without knowing more
about her specific condition. "In theory, yes, she could,"
he said, "but normal male and females vary so much that
unless one knows what the person was before and their hormone
history, it's difficult to say if they have an undue
If nothing else,
Gronert's case opens a new can of worms for the sport.
Navratilova competed against Renée Richards --
formerly Richard Raskind, who underwent a sex-change operation
and began competing in her 40s -- in the 1970s and was later
coached by her. She said it's a "loaded" situation.
"You don't know
if it's an advantage or not," she says. "It might not
be a level playing field if you need to take hormones to be a
full-on woman." Navratilova stressed that "if she thinks
she's a woman, then she is a woman to me."
Gronert's case is
clearly different from Richards's. Tennis authorities tried
to bar Richards from playing when she first began competing,
but she sued and the New York supreme court ruled in
her favor. Richards reached a ranking of number 20 and made the
doubles finals at the U.S. Open in 1977.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- French Mayor Won't Marry Boys, But Two Girls Are OK
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM