Obama: Orlando 'Ideally Suited' to Host Gay Games
BY Trudy Ring
February 12 2013 9:36 PM ET
In what appears to be a first for a U.S. president, Barack Obama has given his support to Orlando, Fla.’s bid to host the Gay Games in 2018.
Obama wrote a letter of support to the organizing committee for Orlando, the only U.S. city seeking to host the 2018 games, according to website Watermark. He notes the role the event has played in advancing LGBT equality, a cause he backs as well, and says Orlando is “ideally suited” to be the site of the games.
He is “almost certainly” the first U.S. president to endorse a city’s Gay Games bid, Outsports reports, adding that the British and French prime ministers have backed London’s and Paris’s respective bids. Amsterdam and Limerick, Ireland, are also seeking to host the games.
“Obama’s endorsement is another sign of the mainstreaming of gays into society,” Outsports notes. “At one time, this would have been controversial but now it’s just a matter of protocol since these events do bring in tourists (and their money).”
However, Gay Games officials are unlikely to pick Orlando, observers say, simply because that would result in two consecutive Gay Games being held in the same country. Cleveland will host the quadrennial event in 2014.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 26 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 1 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 1 hour 38 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 1 hour 47 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 26 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM