Obama: Orlando 'Ideally Suited' to Host Gay Games
BY Trudy Ring
February 12 2013 9:36 PM ET
In what appears to be a first for a U.S. president, Barack Obama has given his support to Orlando, Fla.’s bid to host the Gay Games in 2018.
Obama wrote a letter of support to the organizing committee for Orlando, the only U.S. city seeking to host the 2018 games, according to website Watermark. He notes the role the event has played in advancing LGBT equality, a cause he backs as well, and says Orlando is “ideally suited” to be the site of the games.
He is “almost certainly” the first U.S. president to endorse a city’s Gay Games bid, Outsports reports, adding that the British and French prime ministers have backed London’s and Paris’s respective bids. Amsterdam and Limerick, Ireland, are also seeking to host the games.
“Obama’s endorsement is another sign of the mainstreaming of gays into society,” Outsports notes. “At one time, this would have been controversial but now it’s just a matter of protocol since these events do bring in tourists (and their money).”
However, Gay Games officials are unlikely to pick Orlando, observers say, simply because that would result in two consecutive Gay Games being held in the same country. Cleveland will host the quadrennial event in 2014.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 12 min 11 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 47 min 47 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 49 min 57 sec ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 1 hour 48 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM