Miami Marlins Go to Bat for LGBT Youth
BY Neal Broverman
May 13 2013 2:19 PM ET
Miami's major league baseball franchise will devote a portion of proceeds from a June game to LGBT youth organizations.
The Marlins teamed with the South Florida Gay News to make You Can Play Night happen June 14. Tickets start at $20 for the game, where the Marlins take on the St. Louis Cardinals; part of the proceeds go to queer groups like Pridelines Youth Services, Safe Schools South Florida, the Pride Center, NVEEE, Sunserve, Youth Pride Band, and the Alliance for LGBTQ Youth. You Can Play Night, which begins with a social mixer, will also promote the goal of equality in sports.
"With the recent announcement of Jason Collins coming out as a pro athlete, the timing for You Can Play Night is perfect," Justin Wyse, sales manager for South Florida Gay News, said in a statement. “The message the You Can Play Project makes to LGBT youth and their allies who are involved in sports is that locker rooms should be safe and sports venues should be free from homophobia. Athletes should be judged on talent, heart, and work ethic and not sexual orientation."
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2013/05/lgbt-youth-groups-in-south-florida-to-benefit-from-you-can-play-night-at-miami-marlins-game-june-14.html#storylink=cpy
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM