Miami Marlins Go to Bat for LGBT Youth
BY Neal Broverman
May 13 2013 2:19 PM ET
Miami's major league baseball franchise will devote a portion of proceeds from a June game to LGBT youth organizations.
The Marlins teamed with the South Florida Gay News to make You Can Play Night happen June 14. Tickets start at $20 for the game, where the Marlins take on the St. Louis Cardinals; part of the proceeds go to queer groups like Pridelines Youth Services, Safe Schools South Florida, the Pride Center, NVEEE, Sunserve, Youth Pride Band, and the Alliance for LGBTQ Youth. You Can Play Night, which begins with a social mixer, will also promote the goal of equality in sports.
"With the recent announcement of Jason Collins coming out as a pro athlete, the timing for You Can Play Night is perfect," Justin Wyse, sales manager for South Florida Gay News, said in a statement. “The message the You Can Play Project makes to LGBT youth and their allies who are involved in sports is that locker rooms should be safe and sports venues should be free from homophobia. Athletes should be judged on talent, heart, and work ethic and not sexual orientation."
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2013/05/lgbt-youth-groups-in-south-florida-to-benefit-from-you-can-play-night-at-miami-marlins-game-june-14.html#storylink=cpy
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM