Not Your Mother's Mother's Day Cards
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2013 3:00 AM ET
In 2011, Strong Families set out to reach and highlight women who are often overlooked in the mainstream celebration of Mother’s Day — low-income moms, young moms, immigrant moms, single moms, incarcerated moms, queer moms, and moms struggling with substance abuse, among others.
“Just about everyone we spoke with felt mixed at best about typical Mother’s Day celebrations. Our family structures, stories and identities were missing, stereotyped or misunderstood, so we set out to change this,” said Eveline Shen, Executive Director of Forward Together who leads the Strong Families Initiative. “We tapped into something visceral in these moms—the desire to be visible, honored and appreciated rather than targeted by stigma and distain. Additionally, individuals sent donations, artists asked how they could be involved; and we were inundated with contributions from bloggers from around the country.”
Strong Families is a national initiative led by Forward Together. Our goal is to change the way people think, feel and act in support of families. Make and send a custom Mama’s Day e-card at www.mamasday.org.
"I saw the Strong Families campaign on FB last year, and it was so tender, moving, and right on. I saw it as a careful dedication to the lives and love between groups of people who are often un-represented, or carelessly represented in media. Coming from where I'm from, being who I am, these cards made me feel a little more seen in the world. That I am thankful for, and that is why I wanted to create a card." — Amaryllis DeJesus Moleski
Click through to see more Mama's Day and Papa's Day family cards.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 7 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM