Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Larry King/Jeffrey Fashion Cares Point Scholar
Johnson & Wales University
Although her school administration turned down her proposal for an LGBT support group and her request to hold an anti‐bullying week, Kayla Wingert wouldn't give up. She had come out as a lesbian at the age of 16. And ever since, she fought for anti‐bullying efforts for her predominately conservative neighborhood and her Catholic high school.
Wingert successfully ran two workshops for students on acceptance and tolerance of LGBT people. And she was asked by her high school's administration to host a mandatory workshop for all staff and faculty about incorporating LGBT students more fully into the classroom. Because of Wingert’s persistence, the administration reached out to other Catholic schools about creating safer environments for LGBT students.
Wingert will attend Johnson and Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island as of fall 2012, majoring in Sports/Entertainment/Event Management. Wingert dreams of working as the event coordinator for a nonprofit organization that serves the LGBT community.
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Coming Out of the Closet in Front of the Cast of Mamma Mia
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation