WATCH: Texas Dad Publicly Shames Son for Bullying Classmate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 03 2013 8:08 PM ET
A Texas father is standing his ground in the face of criticism over his creative way of punishing his son, a fourth-grader, after the boy was involved in several bullying incidents at school.
When traditional disciplinary methods such as grounding and even hard labor had no impact on his son's behavior, Jose Lagares took his son to a busy street corner in Killeen, Texas, Tuesday, and made him hold up a sign that read, "I am a bully. HONK! If you hate bullies."
KCEN reports that Lagares received his fair share of criticism for his decision, which is why he returned to the same intersection Wednesday, carrying his own sign, reading, "I am not sorry!!! Honk 2 Stop Bullying."
Lagares said bullying is a serious issue and that as the parent of a bully, he's committed to putting a stop to his son's behavior.
"I'm not going to allow my child to be someone else's pain," said Lagares. "We don't need another Columbine … and I refuse for my child to be the cause of that."
Lagares told KCEN that when his son returned to school Wednesday, he apologized, of his own accord, to the student he'd bullied.
Watch KCEN's report below.
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 26 min 27 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM