Documentarians Bailey and Barbato to plumb Deep Throat
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 15 2003 12:00 AM ET
Variety reports that out documentarians Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato (The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Party Monster) will make a feature documentary on the lasting cultural impact of the 1972 porn movie Deep Throat. Produced for just $25,000, Deep Throat is still considered the most profitable film ever made, with grosses of around $600 million. The film will be produced for Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's Imagine Entertainment, and Grazer says he chose Bailey and Barbato partially based on their work for the six-part Channel 4 documentary Pornography: The Secret History of Civilization. "You might say that Deep Throat was the film that started the independent film movement," said Bailey. "It sparked a brief period when porn looked like it would be going from the backstreet raincoat brigade to mainstream."
Bailey and Barbato's narrative feature debut, Party Monster (based on their documentary of the same name), is scheduled to premiere later in January at the Sundance Film Festival.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 13 min 24 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 17 min 24 sec ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM