Hot Sheet: Anything That Loves
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 12 2013 9:21 AM ET
3. Event: New York Musical Theatre Festival
The Tenth Annual New York Musical Theatre Festival is taking over Manhattan right now through July 28. While any celebration of musical theater is likely to bring out the gays, these are a few particularly queer highlights you don't want to miss:
Homo The Musical! introduces an alien from Planet Homo who infiltrates a middle-American town, posing as a suburban housewife. The lively show is full of rock-and-roll beats and kickass dancing, highlighting the best of otherworldly camp, cult, and pop fanaticism.
Crossing Swords frames a high school performance of Cyrano de Bergerac — produced by a partnership of an all-girls school and an all-boys school — as a life lesson for the young stars, as they navigate first love, jealousy, and dark secrets that threaten to steal their youthful innocence in this funny and poignant coming-of-age story.
Legacy Falls caters to the die-hard soap opera fans out there, dishing the dirt on the fictitious scandals both on- and off-screen of the cast who bring to life "America's favorite daytime soap opera."
Boys Will Be Boys explores the chronic condition of Gay-DD, the inability to focus on any one trend for more than a few weeks. Good-naturedly harpooning the perpetually trendy urban gay male stereotype, the tale follows a group of friends as they organize a charity revue that requires them to expose their views on love and loss — as well as expose themselves.
Find a full schedule of performances at nymf.org
Above, pictured left to right: Tom Bozell, James Patterson, Paul DeBoy, Alexander Ferguson, Patrick Oliver Jones, Sergio Pasquariello, and Michael Lorz.
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM