Sara Bareilles Wants to See You Be 'Brave'
BY Jase Peeples
April 24 2013 2:59 PM ET
“You can be amazing. You can turn a phrase in to a weapon or a drug. You can be the outcast or be the backlash of somebody’s lack of love or you can start speaking up,” croons pop performer Sara Bareilles on her latest single, “Brave.”
The song, which she wrote with Fun lead guitarist Jack Antonoff, is destined to become an LGBT anthem for the ages and was inspired by one of Bareilles’s close friends, who was struggling with coming out of the closest.
Antonoff applauds the track’s LGBT appeal, noting that while the song will undoubtedly take on a variety of meanings for different people it will always be linked to the current civil rights movement in his mind. “I’ll always internalize it as a real civil rights anthem at a time when there are no civil rights anthems and there’s a giant need for [them],” he said in a recent video interview promoting the single.
“I think there’s so much honor and integrity and beauty in being able to be who you are,” Bareilles said, citing one of the many reasons she was compelled to write the lyrics for the song. “It’s important to be brave because by doing that you also give others permission to do the same.”
"Brave" is the first single off Bareilles' highly anticipated third studio album, The Blessed Unrest, which is set for release on July 16th.
Watch an interview with Bareilles and Antonoff talking about their experience working together on “Brave” and listen to the full track in the videos below.
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 2 hours 47 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM