Sara Bareilles Wants to See You Be 'Brave'
BY Jase Peeples
April 24 2013 1:59 PM ET
“You can be amazing. You can turn a phrase in to a weapon or a drug. You can be the outcast or be the backlash of somebody’s lack of love or you can start speaking up,” croons pop performer Sara Bareilles on her latest single, “Brave.”
The song, which she wrote with Fun lead guitarist Jack Antonoff, is destined to become an LGBT anthem for the ages and was inspired by one of Bareilles’s close friends, who was struggling with coming out of the closest.
Antonoff applauds the track’s LGBT appeal, noting that while the song will undoubtedly take on a variety of meanings for different people it will always be linked to the current civil rights movement in his mind. “I’ll always internalize it as a real civil rights anthem at a time when there are no civil rights anthems and there’s a giant need for [them],” he said in a recent video interview promoting the single.
“I think there’s so much honor and integrity and beauty in being able to be who you are,” Bareilles said, citing one of the many reasons she was compelled to write the lyrics for the song. “It’s important to be brave because by doing that you also give others permission to do the same.”
"Brave" is the first single off Bareilles' highly anticipated third studio album, The Blessed Unrest, which is set for release on July 16th.
Watch an interview with Bareilles and Antonoff talking about their experience working together on “Brave” and listen to the full track in the videos below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 16 min 57 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 17 min 50 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 33 min 38 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM