HRC to Honor Whoopi Goldberg for LGBT Activism
BY Neal Broverman
January 14 2013 8:44 PM ET
Longtime LGBT activist Whoopi Goldberg will receive the Human Rights Campaign's Ally for Equality Award on February 2 in New York City.
Goldberg, current co-host of The View and former Oscar-winner for Ghost, has put her neck out for LGBT people for years. She spoke at 1987's March on Washington for gay rights.
"Mr. Reagan, did you explain…that sometimes ignorant people act in such a way [toward people with AIDS] that it is frightening," she said at the event. "How long is it going to take before people get smart…educated people? We’re not talking about illiterate people. We’re talking about senators and congressmen and the fucking president."
Goldberg frequently defends LGBT rights on The View, noted HRC president Chad Griffin.
"We are proud to honor Whoopi Goldberg with the Ally for Equality Award for her commitment to the LGBT community through her public support of marriage equality, including taking part in our successful New Yorkers for Marriage Equality video campaign in 2011," Griffin said in a statement. "Whoopi is always willing to stand up for our community and is a longtime friend of HRC."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 54 min 8 sec ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 1 hour 59 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM