BY Michael Fairman
September 17 2009 5:35 PM ET
“What was so great is that when Trent Dawson [Henry] and Colleen Zenk
Pinter [Barbara] were talking about our ATWT couple to present at the
Emmys, there was no presumption of it being anything out of the
ordinary for it to be Nuke, because they were such a popular couple. I
thought that was cool that we have come this far. I have crossed Van
and Jake in the hallways and they are hilarious, and they were
charming. I think their story is particularly well done. In the past,
being a gay character was sensationalized and they tended to make the
gay person more negative. Here they are trying to portray the trials
and tribulations of their everyday life and I think that is a much
better take on it, rather then jump off the screen as every day weird."
GL’S Doris Comes Out: Now There Are Four Lesbians in Springfield!
Cassidy’s Doris finally came out to her unsuspecting daughter Ashlee
(played by Caitlin Van Zandt) in this week’s final episodes of Guiding
Light. The blessed event occurred one day, Ashlee had trouble dealing
with it on another, and then was not so much upset with the fact that her
mother was a lesbian as she was with the idea that her mother could not be open and honest with
All the more shocking to poor Ashlee was the
revelation that Doris had used a sperm donor to conceive her. Thus, through
a hurried bit of compressed time (the show is ending, for God's sake),
Ashlee wants to try and start anew with her mom. This is followed by
the terrific episodes of Billy and Vanessa's and Buzz and Lillian’s
Then came the pièce de résistance: Doris shows up with
some gal on her arm, Ashlee almost chokes to death seeing this (not
literally), and Doris and her date join (drum roll, please) an openly
out and proud Otalia in a lesbian klatch in a corner of the room. I
never thought I would live to see that day, Guiding Light! So, my review
of this is: Doris telling Ashlee -- a bit of a let down. But four lesbians
in a room? BRAVO!
Y&R Looking for Hottie to Play Malcolm
you are the next Shemar Moore (gorgeous, with a six-pack, a set of pecs,
and a great smile), then all the boys who watch the soaps -- and The Young
and the Restless -- want you!
Seems a casting call has gone out looking
to bring in this former bad boy and beloved brother to Kristoff St.
John’s Neil Winters come November. Adding an interesting twist to
this is Victoria Rowell, whose Drucilla has been rumored to be returning to the fold as well. Remember... Dru went over a cliff. The
outspoken actress tweeted this week, “Actors are working OT 2 keep Dru
OUT! And an inside source told me who. Word is Lily don't want her
Mamma -- read between the lines.” Hmm.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM