BY Michael Fairman
June 04 2010 1:40 PM ET
So are you ready for the praises and the possible eggshells that come with playing a major gay character, whether it is from the LGBT community or the mainstream?
I fully support getting up there and pushing some boundaries. Because Bianca is such an embraced gay character and has had such a following with the audience, maybe she is allowed some more steps forward. Who knows?
But in the end, this has to be such a fantastic journey you are about to embark on. So how did you react when you got the news that would forever change your life ... that you are the new Bianca Montgomery?
I got a message from my agent, who was going into an intermission from a show he was seeing, to call him on his cell phone. So I called him back and I said, “What were you watching?” And he said, “You got it.” And I went, “Oh, OK. You are watching a new Broadway show called You Got It.” Then I basically stopped in my tracks. I was alone in my apartment, and my boyfriend was on his way home. And then I collapsed and sat on the floor of my apartment, and there were some tears. It was pretty emotional. I had been waiting for this for a couple months, and it was a huge sigh of relief. What I am most proud about in getting this role is that I felt it was me who got through, with my personality and energy, and that is what they responded to, as far as Bianca goes. It sounds cliché, but that is what did it. I know I am in a very interesting position coming onto soaps at this time, but I can’t wait to see where it can all go.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Op-ed: Intersex, the Final Coming-Out Frontier
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 25 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM