Ashton Kutcher: Is This Just a Swishy Gay Stereotype?
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 03 2012 6:15 PM ET
Ashton Kutcher plays a flamboyant gay designer looking for romance, delivering bon mots such as "miracles in my mouth makes an Eiffel Tower in my pants," in one of a series of ads for a faux dating site that some viewers have found offensive.
As part of a Popchips ad campaign that spoofs online dating, the actor appears as a variety of love-hungry “World Wide Lovers.” One in which the actor dons brown face and a heavy accent to portray Raj, has already been pulled due to charges that it perpetuates negative stereotypes of Indian people. As Darl, Kutcher wears a white wig, lipstick, and is clad in form-fitting black vest over a white collared shirt, jewelry, sunglasses, and fingerless gloves that evoke designer Karl Lagerfeld. Darl speaks with an affected French accent and proclaims his love for "things that pop in your face" and the importance of size.
After numerous complaints about Kutcher's Rag character, Popchips founder and CEO Keith Belling posted an apology on the snack company's website. "We received a lot feedback about the dating campaign parody we launched today and appreciate everyone who took the time to share their point of view," he writes. "Our team worked hard to create a light-hearted parody featuring a variety of characters that was meant to provide a few laughs. we did not intend to offend anyone. I take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended."
Watch Kutcher as Darl below and tell us if it's funny or offensive.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 34 min 36 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 31 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM