Actor Freddie Smith on Bullying, Bare Chests, and Going Gay for Days of Our Lives
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 23 2012 6:00 AM ET
You and costar Chandler Massey [who plays Will, pictured right] accepted a GLAAD Media Award for your work this year. What was that moment like?
It was a wonderful experience to be honored with a GLAAD Award. Chandler and I were very humbled to have gotten such an amazing award. The dinner and the entire event was something I will never forget. I think GLAAD is doing the society such a great service and I support them 100%.
You grew up in Ashtabula, Ohio. Tell me about the move to Los Angeles. Did you come out on a wing and prayer or did you already have work lined up?
I decided midway through my senior year that I wanted to come to L.A. and pursue acting. I began acting classes in Cleveland on the weekends, got a job at McDonald's to save money, and then three weeks after graduating I packed up my car and drove out here. I didn't have a job lined up. I did have some meetings with managers and agents, but I didn't get my first legit job until about a year after being here, which was a costar on Medium.
What do you hope to do after Days? In front or behind the camera? Movies or TV?
I would love to wear many hats in this business. I love acting, but I would also love to be on the creative side of things as well, later in my career.
I saw you posed for the NoH8 Campaign. Why was that important?
I posed to voice my opinion and stand up for what I believe in and support.
We don't see you without your shirt off enough.
Shirtless scenes are coming up in the near future.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 min 45 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 23 min 15 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM