Actor Freddie Smith on Bullying, Bare Chests, and Going Gay for Days of Our Lives
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
You and costar Chandler Massey [who plays Will, pictured right] accepted a GLAAD Media Award for your work this year. What was that moment like?
It was a wonderful experience to be honored with a GLAAD Award. Chandler and I were very humbled to have gotten such an amazing award. The dinner and the entire event was something I will never forget. I think GLAAD is doing the society such a great service and I support them 100%.
You grew up in Ashtabula, Ohio. Tell me about the move to Los Angeles. Did you come out on a wing and prayer or did you already have work lined up?
I decided midway through my senior year that I wanted to come to L.A. and pursue acting. I began acting classes in Cleveland on the weekends, got a job at McDonald's to save money, and then three weeks after graduating I packed up my car and drove out here. I didn't have a job lined up. I did have some meetings with managers and agents, but I didn't get my first legit job until about a year after being here, which was a costar on Medium.
What do you hope to do after Days? In front or behind the camera? Movies or TV?
I would love to wear many hats in this business. I love acting, but I would also love to be on the creative side of things as well, later in my career.
I saw you posed for the NoH8 Campaign. Why was that important?
I posed to voice my opinion and stand up for what I believe in and support.
We don't see you without your shirt off enough.
Shirtless scenes are coming up in the near future.
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 3 min 51 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 15 min 49 sec ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 17 min 20 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: An X Factor for Grandma's LGBT Bowling League 5:00 AM