WATCH: 10 Here TV Shows That Changed Our View of LGBT Life
BY Daniel Villarreal
May 09 2013 3:30 PM ET
10. Heart of Broadway
Every year for the last 24 years, Broadway, off-Broadway, and national touring theater companies have raised money to help support Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, the nation’s leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fund-raising organization.
The several weeks of fund-raising culminate in an annual event called Gypsy of the Year in which chorus members and other performers put on a night of skits, dances, and musical numbers to award the shows that raised the most money to fight HIV/AIDS.
In the documentary Heart of Broadway, Here TV talked with several "Gypsy" attendees and performers as well as Billy Porter, Marc Kudisch, Jen Cody, and other insiders with Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for an in-depth look at an event that has raised more than $195 million for AIDS services across the United States.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 6 Last-Minute Exercises for the Perfect Gay Beach Bod