WATCH: 10 Here TV Shows That Changed Our View of LGBT Life
BY Daniel Villarreal
May 09 2013 3:30 PM ET
10. Heart of Broadway
Every year for the last 24 years, Broadway, off-Broadway, and national touring theater companies have raised money to help support Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, the nation’s leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fund-raising organization.
The several weeks of fund-raising culminate in an annual event called Gypsy of the Year in which chorus members and other performers put on a night of skits, dances, and musical numbers to award the shows that raised the most money to fight HIV/AIDS.
In the documentary Heart of Broadway, Here TV talked with several "Gypsy" attendees and performers as well as Billy Porter, Marc Kudisch, Jen Cody, and other insiders with Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for an in-depth look at an event that has raised more than $195 million for AIDS services across the United States.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God