Scarlett Johansson Headlines Tennessee Williams Revival
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 20 2012 11:13 AM ET
Tony Award-winner Scarlett Johansson will return to the stage and don the form-fitting white slip of Maggie the Cat when she headlines the latest Broadway revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams's classic drama about mendacity, according to Deadline.
Both Chris Pine and Jeremy Renner briefly flirted with the role of Brick Pollitt, the alcoholic, possibly gay son of a tyrannical Mississippi plantation owner, before Benjamin Walker landed the part. Walker recently starred in the film Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and is married to Meryl Streep's daughter Mamie Gummer. The play will mark Johansson's first return to the stage since winning a Tony Award in 2010 for the revival of Arthur Miller's View from a Bridge. Game of Thrones star Ciaran Hinds will play Big Daddy, while Tony Award winner Debra Monk will portray Big Mama.
The latest revival of the 1955 Pulitzer Prize-winner will be directed by Tony Award-winner Rob Ashford, and will begin preview performances December 18 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York ahead of a January 17 opening night.
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 2 hours 2 min ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 6:00 AM
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM