Scarlett Johansson Headlines Tennessee Williams Revival
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 20 2012 12:13 PM ET
Tony Award-winner Scarlett Johansson will return to the stage and don the form-fitting white slip of Maggie the Cat when she headlines the latest Broadway revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams's classic drama about mendacity, according to Deadline.
Both Chris Pine and Jeremy Renner briefly flirted with the role of Brick Pollitt, the alcoholic, possibly gay son of a tyrannical Mississippi plantation owner, before Benjamin Walker landed the part. Walker recently starred in the film Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and is married to Meryl Streep's daughter Mamie Gummer. The play will mark Johansson's first return to the stage since winning a Tony Award in 2010 for the revival of Arthur Miller's View from a Bridge. Game of Thrones star Ciaran Hinds will play Big Daddy, while Tony Award winner Debra Monk will portray Big Mama.
The latest revival of the 1955 Pulitzer Prize-winner will be directed by Tony Award-winner Rob Ashford, and will begin preview performances December 18 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York ahead of a January 17 opening night.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The A-List Interview: David Walton
- America's Globetrotting Homophobes Exposed, Put on Notice by New HRC Report