Scarlett Johansson Headlines Tennessee Williams Revival
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 20 2012 11:13 AM ET
Tony Award-winner Scarlett Johansson will return to the stage and don the form-fitting white slip of Maggie the Cat when she headlines the latest Broadway revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams's classic drama about mendacity, according to Deadline.
Both Chris Pine and Jeremy Renner briefly flirted with the role of Brick Pollitt, the alcoholic, possibly gay son of a tyrannical Mississippi plantation owner, before Benjamin Walker landed the part. Walker recently starred in the film Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and is married to Meryl Streep's daughter Mamie Gummer. The play will mark Johansson's first return to the stage since winning a Tony Award in 2010 for the revival of Arthur Miller's View from a Bridge. Game of Thrones star Ciaran Hinds will play Big Daddy, while Tony Award winner Debra Monk will portray Big Mama.
The latest revival of the 1955 Pulitzer Prize-winner will be directed by Tony Award-winner Rob Ashford, and will begin preview performances December 18 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York ahead of a January 17 opening night.
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 18 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 24 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 30 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 31 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 1 hour 35 min ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 2 hours 19 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM