Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2012
BY Brandon Voss
February 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Sex and the City’s Cynthia Nixon bravely commands the stage as a demanding poetry professor — conveniently well-versed in the mortality themes of John Donne's Holy Sonnets — diagnosed with late-stage ovarian cancer in Manhattan Theatre Club’s surprisingly funny, tastefully heart-tugging revival of out playwright Margaret Edson's Pulitzer Prize–winning 1995 masterpiece, which is as brief and precious as life itself.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through March 17.
Look Back in Anger
Brothers & Sisters star Matthew Rhys is electric as working-class idealist Jimmy in this streamlined revival of John Osborne’s 1956 “angry young man” drama about four people — including Angels in America’s hunky Adam Driver as Jimmy’s pal — who seduce and squabble in squalor. Sam Gold directs the tense action on the stage’s lip, an exhilaratingly literal interpretation of the tiny flat’s description as “a very narrow strip of plain hell.”
Roundabout at the Laura Pels Theatre, through April 8.
How I Learned to Drive
Twilight’s Elizabeth Reaser stars in the assured 15th anniversary revival of out playwright Paula Vogel’s darkly comic coming-of-age drama about a young girl whose alcoholic uncle molests her during their intimate driving lessons. Opposite the reliable Norbert Leo Butz as Uncle Peck, Reaser is touchingly understated as Li'l Bit, the Pulitzer Prize–winning memory play’s abused narrator, who can easily be interpreted as a lesbian.
Second Stage Theatre, through March 18.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 44 min 14 sec ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 2 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 35 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 54 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 2 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 2 hours 26 min ago