Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2012
BY Brandon Voss
February 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Sex and the City’s Cynthia Nixon bravely commands the stage as a demanding poetry professor — conveniently well-versed in the mortality themes of John Donne's Holy Sonnets — diagnosed with late-stage ovarian cancer in Manhattan Theatre Club’s surprisingly funny, tastefully heart-tugging revival of out playwright Margaret Edson's Pulitzer Prize–winning 1995 masterpiece, which is as brief and precious as life itself.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through March 17.
Look Back in Anger
Brothers & Sisters star Matthew Rhys is electric as working-class idealist Jimmy in this streamlined revival of John Osborne’s 1956 “angry young man” drama about four people — including Angels in America’s hunky Adam Driver as Jimmy’s pal — who seduce and squabble in squalor. Sam Gold directs the tense action on the stage’s lip, an exhilaratingly literal interpretation of the tiny flat’s description as “a very narrow strip of plain hell.”
Roundabout at the Laura Pels Theatre, through April 8.
How I Learned to Drive
Twilight’s Elizabeth Reaser stars in the assured 15th anniversary revival of out playwright Paula Vogel’s darkly comic coming-of-age drama about a young girl whose alcoholic uncle molests her during their intimate driving lessons. Opposite the reliable Norbert Leo Butz as Uncle Peck, Reaser is touchingly understated as Li'l Bit, the Pulitzer Prize–winning memory play’s abused narrator, who can easily be interpreted as a lesbian.
Second Stage Theatre, through March 18.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 3 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 8 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 23 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM