Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2012
BY Brandon Voss
February 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
Sex and the City’s Cynthia Nixon bravely commands the stage as a demanding poetry professor — conveniently well-versed in the mortality themes of John Donne's Holy Sonnets — diagnosed with late-stage ovarian cancer in Manhattan Theatre Club’s surprisingly funny, tastefully heart-tugging revival of out playwright Margaret Edson's Pulitzer Prize–winning 1995 masterpiece, which is as brief and precious as life itself.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through March 17.
Look Back in Anger
Brothers & Sisters star Matthew Rhys is electric as working-class idealist Jimmy in this streamlined revival of John Osborne’s 1956 “angry young man” drama about four people — including Angels in America’s hunky Adam Driver as Jimmy’s pal — who seduce and squabble in squalor. Sam Gold directs the tense action on the stage’s lip, an exhilaratingly literal interpretation of the tiny flat’s description as “a very narrow strip of plain hell.”
Roundabout at the Laura Pels Theatre, through April 8.
How I Learned to Drive
Twilight’s Elizabeth Reaser stars in the assured 15th anniversary revival of out playwright Paula Vogel’s darkly comic coming-of-age drama about a young girl whose alcoholic uncle molests her during their intimate driving lessons. Opposite the reliable Norbert Leo Butz as Uncle Peck, Reaser is touchingly understated as Li'l Bit, the Pulitzer Prize–winning memory play’s abused narrator, who can easily be interpreted as a lesbian.
Second Stage Theatre, through March 18.
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 7 min 8 sec ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 19 min 3 sec ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 35 min 51 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 1 hour 35 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 1 hour 41 min ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 2 hours 25 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 2 hours 25 min ago