Roseanne Apologizes for Too-Strongly Worded Tweet Against Chick-fil-A
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 27 2012 9:49 AM ET
Comic Roseanne Barr has apologized after offending some by tweeting her opinion about Chick-fil-A's antigay stance, in which she said people who eat there deserve the cancer they will get from " eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ."
Never one to mince words, Barr, a longtime LGBT ally, tweeted, “anyone who eats S%#@ Fil-A deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ,” she tweeted, later adding, “off to grab a s%#@ fil-A sandwich on my way to worshipping Christ, supporting Aipac and war in Iran.”
CBS reports that some twitter followers, while also opposing the restaurant chain, didn't care for Barr's word choices, including a man named Jim Henson, who tweeted, "I lost two brothers to cancer, Roseanne. What a truly heinous thing to say."
Barr again took to Twitter to defend herself. “christian liars: i never wished cancer on you at all-jesus will punish u 4 ur deceit-I said processed foods cause cancer,” she wrote. Upon reflection Barr agreed that her words might have been too harsh, and wrote, “Retreading my tweet I realize that I used the wrong word-I shouldn’t have used the word deserves. I shouldn’t have used the word deserves in my tweet and I apologize.”
She followed up with at least two more tweets about the fast-food franchise, saying, "Chickfil-A is made from aborted chicken fetus anus" and "I was constipated and had to strain 2 pass a chick fil-A."
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 55 min 30 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 55 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM