Roseanne Apologizes for Too-Strongly Worded Tweet Against Chick-fil-A
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 27 2012 10:49 AM ET
Comic Roseanne Barr has apologized after offending some by tweeting her opinion about Chick-fil-A's antigay stance, in which she said people who eat there deserve the cancer they will get from " eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ."
Never one to mince words, Barr, a longtime LGBT ally, tweeted, “anyone who eats S%#@ Fil-A deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ,” she tweeted, later adding, “off to grab a s%#@ fil-A sandwich on my way to worshipping Christ, supporting Aipac and war in Iran.”
CBS reports that some twitter followers, while also opposing the restaurant chain, didn't care for Barr's word choices, including a man named Jim Henson, who tweeted, "I lost two brothers to cancer, Roseanne. What a truly heinous thing to say."
Barr again took to Twitter to defend herself. “christian liars: i never wished cancer on you at all-jesus will punish u 4 ur deceit-I said processed foods cause cancer,” she wrote. Upon reflection Barr agreed that her words might have been too harsh, and wrote, “Retreading my tweet I realize that I used the wrong word-I shouldn’t have used the word deserves. I shouldn’t have used the word deserves in my tweet and I apologize.”
She followed up with at least two more tweets about the fast-food franchise, saying, "Chickfil-A is made from aborted chicken fetus anus" and "I was constipated and had to strain 2 pass a chick fil-A."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 53 min 56 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 8 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 28 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM