Couple Told 'You Can’t Be Gay in My Cab'
BY Lucas Grindley
July 27 2013 10:59 AM ET
Two Portland women say they were kicked out of a taxi cab on Thursday and left alongside an interstate at midnight when the driver objected to them being affectionate.
“You can’t be gay in my cab,” they recall being told, according to KOIN.
Kate Neal told NWCN that she and her girlfriend had taken a Broadway Cab home with another friend. All three were booted when the couple was affectionate.
They called yet another Broadway cab and were kicked out of that one after the two drivers spoke, according to what Neal told NWCN.
The first driver has been suspended. And the taxi company's president issued a statement on Facebook saying that both the city and Broadway would investigate further.
"Discrimination should not, cannot and will not be tolerated," wrote President Raye Miles, though he said the investigation meant he couldn't comment on the specifics of the case. "I would like to take this opportunity to say that Broadway Cab is fully committed to the concept and practice of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, and diversity. This includes any form of discrimination based upon an individual’s sexual orientation."
The three women eventually made it home only after finding a police officer — who said he was actually looking for them. Someone had called the police to complain about a woman who refused to pay a cab fare. The women explained their side, according to KATU, and the officer gave them a ride home.
Watch the KATU report below.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 32 min 25 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 34 min 15 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 35 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 1 hour 41 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 2 hours 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 2 hours 34 min ago