Couple Told 'You Can’t Be Gay in My Cab'
BY Lucas Grindley
July 27 2013 11:59 AM ET
Two Portland women say they were kicked out of a taxi cab on Thursday and left alongside an interstate at midnight when the driver objected to them being affectionate.
“You can’t be gay in my cab,” they recall being told, according to KOIN.
Kate Neal told NWCN that she and her girlfriend had taken a Broadway Cab home with another friend. All three were booted when the couple was affectionate.
They called yet another Broadway cab and were kicked out of that one after the two drivers spoke, according to what Neal told NWCN.
The first driver has been suspended. And the taxi company's president issued a statement on Facebook saying that both the city and Broadway would investigate further.
"Discrimination should not, cannot and will not be tolerated," wrote President Raye Miles, though he said the investigation meant he couldn't comment on the specifics of the case. "I would like to take this opportunity to say that Broadway Cab is fully committed to the concept and practice of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, and diversity. This includes any form of discrimination based upon an individual’s sexual orientation."
The three women eventually made it home only after finding a police officer — who said he was actually looking for them. Someone had called the police to complain about a woman who refused to pay a cab fare. The women explained their side, according to KATU, and the officer gave them a ride home.
Watch the KATU report below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 5 min 48 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 22 min 23 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 40 min 23 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 42 min 30 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 5 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 47 min ago