McInerney's Lawyer: I Won't Gay-Bash
BY Peter DelVecchio
June 13 2008 12:00 AM ET
Before the earlier postponement of McInerneyâ€™s arraignment on May 8, Quest told the Los Angeles Times that school administrators had allegedly been more interested in protecting Kingâ€™s expression of his sexuality than in addressing the escalating friction between the two boys, which Quest blames at least in part on Kingâ€™s allegedly having flirted openly with McInerney. â€śWe think there will be evidence that the school, with the actions of Larry, didnâ€™t quite know how to deal with it,â€ť Quest told the Times.
Hueneme School District superintendent Jerry Dannenberg disagrees, telling the Times last month, â€śSchool officials definitely were aware of what was going on, and they were dealing with it appropriately.â€ť
In an interview with The Advocate in May, Fox said she had not â€śseen anything that would make me raise an eyebrow about how the school handledâ€ť the situation.
Quest also appears poised to base McInerneyâ€™s defense at least in part on the boyâ€™s allegedly troubled childhood. â€śWe will establish that there was addiction on both the mom and dad and domestic violence, and...that had [an] effect on Brandon,â€ť he said in an interview with National Public Radio posted online June 9.
On a personal note, Quest said, â€śI can tell The Advocate Iâ€™ve got a young brother whoâ€™s gay. I saw how difficult it was for him to come out. Now, he came out when he was in college at Berkeley, [so it was] easier than in junior high. But I saw the struggle he went through...and I hope [this is] not perceived as gay bashing because itâ€™s not. Thatâ€™s not who I am.â€ť
With respect to the likely trial date, Fox said, â€śIf I base it on regular murder trials, I would say next year sometime.â€ť
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 4 min 2 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 8 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 29 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 21 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM