McInerney's Lawyer: I Won't Gay-Bash
BY Peter DelVecchio
June 12 2008 11:00 PM ET
Before the earlier postponement of McInerney’s arraignment on May 8, Quest told the Los Angeles Times that school administrators had allegedly been more interested in protecting King’s expression of his sexuality than in addressing the escalating friction between the two boys, which Quest blames at least in part on King’s allegedly having flirted openly with McInerney. “We think there will be evidence that the school, with the actions of Larry, didn’t quite know how to deal with it,” Quest told the Times.
Hueneme School District superintendent Jerry Dannenberg disagrees, telling the Times last month, “School officials definitely were aware of what was going on, and they were dealing with it appropriately.”
In an interview with The Advocate in May, Fox said she had not “seen anything that would make me raise an eyebrow about how the school handled” the situation.
Quest also appears poised to base McInerney’s defense at least in part on the boy’s allegedly troubled childhood. “We will establish that there was addiction on both the mom and dad and domestic violence, and...that had [an] effect on Brandon,” he said in an interview with National Public Radio posted online June 9.
On a personal note, Quest said, “I can tell The Advocate I’ve got a young brother who’s gay. I saw how difficult it was for him to come out. Now, he came out when he was in college at Berkeley, [so it was] easier than in junior high. But I saw the struggle he went through...and I hope [this is] not perceived as gay bashing because it’s not. That’s not who I am.”
With respect to the likely trial date, Fox said, “If I base it on regular murder trials, I would say next year sometime.”
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 24 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 41 min 5 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 49 min 37 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 14 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 17 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 50 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 54 min ago