Minneapolis Appoints First Lesbian Police Chief
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
December 02 2012 1:25 PM ET
Minneapolis has chosen a new police chief and she's openly gay. Janeé Harteau, who has been on the police force for 25 years, won unanimous approval from the City Council on Friday. Mayor R.T. Rybak praised Harteau for her "willingness to step forward for what is absolutely the toughest job in the city."
According to Eric Roper at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the mayor also addressed the 1996 complaint Harteau filed with the Human Rights Department: "I think it's important to point out that we have a chief who's coming in who at one time had complaints about this department and how it treated women. And I think that's an important value to be bringing to the table. Because, in the top job, that top cop can also see when things aren't going right."
Roper reports that Harteau told the council "I won't let you down" and got chocked up mentioning police officer Tom Decker, who had been killed just the night before. "It's a good day but it's a tough day because we lost one of our own," she said.
Harteau said her being the first gay woman police chief wasn't signifcant for her but for others it might be, adding that she wants "people to see that you can achieve things despite some obstacles in your way. I stand on my merits on how I got here. I've been given tremendous opportunity."
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM