Minneapolis Appoints First Lesbian Police Chief
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
December 02 2012 2:25 PM ET
Minneapolis has chosen a new police chief and she's openly gay. Janeé Harteau, who has been on the police force for 25 years, won unanimous approval from the City Council on Friday. Mayor R.T. Rybak praised Harteau for her "willingness to step forward for what is absolutely the toughest job in the city."
According to Eric Roper at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the mayor also addressed the 1996 complaint Harteau filed with the Human Rights Department: "I think it's important to point out that we have a chief who's coming in who at one time had complaints about this department and how it treated women. And I think that's an important value to be bringing to the table. Because, in the top job, that top cop can also see when things aren't going right."
Roper reports that Harteau told the council "I won't let you down" and got chocked up mentioning police officer Tom Decker, who had been killed just the night before. "It's a good day but it's a tough day because we lost one of our own," she said.
Harteau said her being the first gay woman police chief wasn't signifcant for her but for others it might be, adding that she wants "people to see that you can achieve things despite some obstacles in your way. I stand on my merits on how I got here. I've been given tremendous opportunity."
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM