Teen Held in Bomb Plot That Targeted Gay, Black Peers
BY Neal Broverman
January 07 2013 4:38 PM ET
A racist, homophobic Alabama teenager is under arrest for allegedly plotting to kill African-Americans, and someone he believed was gay, with homemade grenades.
Derek Shrout was arrested Friday and will be arraigned Monday for the plot he's accused of masterminding. A teacher found a journal of his where he had plans to kill six students and a teacher. Six of the intended victims were African-American, while one was gay, Shrout believed. Shrout is a self-proclaimed white-supremacist, according to ABC News. Local authorities are calling this a hate crime and intend to charge the 17-year-old with such.
"That's the reason the white male was on the list (because Shrout believed he was gay)," Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor told the media. "It screams hate crime."
Shrout began writing in his journal, which he claims is a work of fiction, three days after the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.
Police found empty tobacco containers filled with shrapnel at Shrout's home; they had holes in them for fuses. Read more here.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- PHOTOS: Let's Take a Long Look at Long Beach Pride