Teen Held in Bomb Plot That Targeted Gay, Black Peers
BY Neal Broverman
January 07 2013 4:38 PM ET
A racist, homophobic Alabama teenager is under arrest for allegedly plotting to kill African-Americans, and someone he believed was gay, with homemade grenades.
Derek Shrout was arrested Friday and will be arraigned Monday for the plot he's accused of masterminding. A teacher found a journal of his where he had plans to kill six students and a teacher. Six of the intended victims were African-American, while one was gay, Shrout believed. Shrout is a self-proclaimed white-supremacist, according to ABC News. Local authorities are calling this a hate crime and intend to charge the 17-year-old with such.
"That's the reason the white male was on the list (because Shrout believed he was gay)," Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor told the media. "It screams hate crime."
Shrout began writing in his journal, which he claims is a work of fiction, three days after the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.
Police found empty tobacco containers filled with shrapnel at Shrout's home; they had holes in them for fuses. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 13 min 12 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 2 hours 50 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2:58 PM