Married Gay Immigrant Wins Deportation Reprieve in Texas
BY Trudy Ring
March 10 2012 6:30 PM ET
A gay Costa Rican immigrant in Texas has won a reprieve from deportation because of his marriage to an American man, in what is reportedly the first such ruling in that state.
A Houston immigration judge Thursday ended the deportation proceedings against David Gonzalez, who married U.S. citizen Mario Ramirez in California in 2008, during the brief period legal same-sex marriages were available there, the Houston Chronicle reports. They later moved to Texas.
The case is “the first in Texas to end in a reprieve based in large part on a same-sex marriage to a U.S. citizen,” the Chronicle reports. There have been similar actions involving married gay binational couples in California, New Jersey, and other states.
“It’s great news,” Immigration Equality spokesman Steve Ralls told the paper. “It’s consistent with similar actions we are seeing in other cases with lesbian and gay couples.”
President Obama’s administration has made some changes in enforcement of immigration laws, such as allowing an immigrant’s relationships to be considered in deportation decisions, that have benefited gay couples. However, immigrants who are in same-sex marriages continue to have difficulty obtaining work permits. Gonzalez has no legal right to work in the U.S., indicating the need for further reform, Ralls told the Chronicle.
“It is definitely good news that the administration is beginning to drop deportation proceedings, but now the individuals who are spared from deportation need to be able to receive that legal recognition that is so important as they continue to build a life here with their U.S. citizen partners,” Ralls said.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- Women WATCH: These Lesbians are 'Proud to Be Femme!' 6 min 51 sec ago
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 1 hour 13 min ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 1 hour 15 min ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 2 hours 23 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 2 hours 28 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 1:59 PM