Tom Hardy May Replace Mickey Rourke as Gareth Thomas
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 26 2012 6:01 PM ET
Gareth Thomas reveals that actor Tom Hardy is in talks to replace Mickey Rourke, who has decided he is too old to portray the gay rugby superstar in the planned film biography, in an interview with London's The Sun.
According to Thomas, the 59-year-old Rourke found the training necessary for the film was too intense. "I was talking to Mickey yesterday and basically we're now talking to other big-name actors who could play the part instead," Thomas says.
"We had talked about using computer-generated special effects with Mickey but we don't think that will be as realistic, so it's time to find someone new."
Thomas says 34-year-old Hardy, who'll star as villainous Bane in The Dark Knight Rises this summer, is in talks to take over the role in the film, which is expected to begin shooting this spring.
Thomas came out as gay in 2009 and retired from the sport last October. Last November, Rourke said he'd become interested in portraying Thomas after being inspired by a magazine profile he'd read about him. The actor, who received acclaim for his performance in the 2008 film The Wrestler, had even trained extensively with a gay rugby team in Los Angeles in preparation for the film.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM