Activists Say TV Debate Was Game-Changer for Marriage in Australia
BY Lucas Grindley
May 18 2012 2:50 PM ET
An honest moment from a TV news show is being shared online, spiking traffic to LGBT websites, and activists say it could be the game changer needed to bring marriage equality to Australia.
Finance Minister Penny Wong, a lesbian who is known for her direct answers, appeared alongside treasurer Joe Hockey on Q&A. An audience member asked Hockey why he opposes same-sex marriage. He said it's because he's a parent and wants the "very best" for them.
Wong at first conceded there might be nothing she could say to effectively change his mind. So instead she defender her own family. Wong has a partner and a child.
"When you say those things, Joe, what you're saying to not just me but people like me is that the most important thing in our lives, which is the people we love, is somehow less good, less valued," Wong said.
Wong told the interviewer that Hockey's comments hurt her. Then she said something that The Age reports is now being printed on T-shirts: "I know what my family is worth."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 37 min 35 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 41 min 58 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 12 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 38 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM