El Paso Elects Openly Gay State Lawmaker
May 30 2012 8:00 AM ET
El Paso voters have elected Mary E. Gonzalez, an openly gay woman, to the Texas House of Representatives, Gay Politics reports.
Gonzalez’s victory in the Democratic primary all but secures her seat representing the state’s District 75 (she faces no Republican opponent in the general election).
"I do think that people cared more about the issues than my personal life," Gonzalez told the El Paso Times. "People cared more about having a legislator who was going to fight for education, make sure people had jobs and put El Paso first."
Via Gay Politics:
Gonzalez will become just the second openly LGBT individual to serve in the Texas legislature. (The first, former State Rep. Glen Maxey, served from 1991 to 2003.) Her win will shrink the number of state legislatures – currently 17 – with no openly LGBT lawmakers.
Other Victory Fund-backed candidates winning their primary elections in Texas Tuesday include Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez, and Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg. [...]
This is a big victory for Mary, for El Paso and for Texas,” said Chuck Wolfe, president and CEO of the Victory Fund, which endorsed Gonzalez and supported her campaign. “The people of El Paso will be represented by a talented and committed fighter who knows how to get things done in Austin. And LGBT Texans will be represented by an authentic voice in the Capitol, standing up and speaking out for fairness and freedom for all.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 42 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM