PHOTOS: Marriage Equality, One Year Later, Marked at NYC Pride
BY Julie Bolcer
June 25 2012 7:39 AM ET
Opposition appeared scarce during the march, with a small protest at 21st Street. Two men from the Jewish Political Action Committee, which protested the implementation of the law last year, displayed signs that warned same-sex marriages and civil unions would lead to humans marrying animals. White wedding veils adorned a large stuffed giraffe and dog (pictured above).
Polling indicates that a majority of New Yorkers approve of the marriage equality law, where a Quinnipiac University survey last month found that voters supported the issue by 54% to 37%, slightly ahead of national trends. Opponents continue to challenge the measure with calls for a referendum, which appears highly unlikely, and a lawsuit in state court over procedures used to expedite the passage of the bill in the legislature.
See more photos on the following pages.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 32 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM