U.S. Embassy Holds Kenya's First LGBT Pride Event
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2012 9:44 PM ET
The U.S. embassy in Kenya hosted an LGBT pride event Tuesday, believed to be the first ever held in the nation.
The event was a “small invite-only forum,” attended by “activists, allies, and diplomats,” Voice of America reports, but was nonetheless a milestone. It, like pride observances being held at other U.S. embassies around the world, is part of the Obama administration’s effort to fight anti-LGBT discrimination.
“The U.S. government for its part has made it clear that the advancement of human rights for LGBT people is central to our human rights policies around the world and to the realization of our foreign policy goals,” said John Haynes, a public affairs officer at the embassy in Nairobi, in opening the event.
MaqC Gitau, general manager of the Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya, acknowledged the forum’s groundbreaking nature. “What makes this day stand out for us here in Kenya … is that more than anything else, it is about visibility,” he said.
Some LGBT activists feared the event would cause backlash, and some accused the U.S. of cultural imperialism, according to Gay Star News. Others, however, welcomed the event. “The fact that the U.S. embassy has taken the initiative to invite me and other LGBTQI people shows they are reaching out, and I am going to the event to show support and to show solidarity,” said Denis Nzioka, editor of the LGBT Identity Magazine.
- Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- Commentary Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth 1 hour 12 min ago
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 2 hours 12 min ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 2 hours 20 min ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM