Lieutenant Governor Says Women Like Her Don't Engage in Lesbian Affairs
BY Lucas Grindley
July 16 2012 1:31 PM ET
Florida's lieutenant governor denied in an interview that she was in a secret same-sex affair at work, saying that "black women that look like me don't engage in relationships like that."
Jennifer Carroll, an outspoken Christian conservative, was accused in a court filing by a former staffer of getting caught in "a compromising position" in her office with a travel aide. Carroll sent emails to supporters after the story broke, denying it as a media-fueled rumor, and pledged to fight.
(RELATED: More on Jennifer Carroll's conservative views)
Then in an interview Saturday with Tampa Bay's 10 News, she offered a series of odd reasons she couldn't possibly be a lesbian.
"The problem is that when you have these accusations that come out, it's not just one person you're attacking," she said in the video. "It's an entire family. My husband doesn't want to hear that. He knows the type of woman I am. My kids know the type of woman I am."
Carroll pointed to the longevity of her marriage as proof she couldn't be in a lesbian affair and called out accuser Carletha Cole for being single.
"I'm the one that's married for 29 years," she said. "The accuser is the one that's been single for a long time. So usually black women that look like me don't engage in relationships like that."
Then she laughed off the whole notion. Watch the video below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 24 min 41 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 21 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 24 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM