WATCH: Wanda Sykes Explains Why the GOP Hates Her
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 09 2012 2:23 PM ET
Outspoken comic Wanda Sykes says that as a black, gay woman "the only way to make the GOP hate me more is if I sent them a video of me rolling around on a pile of welfare checks."
Logo’s 2012 election special “NewNowNext Vote with Wanda Sykes” was taped on Friday in front of a live studio audience in New York City. According to a press release, the special aims "to educate, activate and entertain viewers while shining a spotlight on the state of national politics through an LGBT lens." Sykes navigated her panel, which included Congressman Barney Frank, news anchor Thomas Roberts, and Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen, through some heated, yet often comedic debates on topics ranging from the economy, healthcare, education, women’s rights, job protection, to, naturally, gay marriage.
During the panel Sykes took the opportunity to address the attending Republicans panelists on how she feels as a minority. "I'm a black, gay woman," she says. "I think the only way to make the GOP hate me more is if I sent them a video of me rolling around on a pile of welfare checks."
The first of two one-hour programs will air on Logo Monday at 10 p.m.
Watch a clip from the program below.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God